On Thursday, September 27, the Town of Orangeville hosted Celebration of the Arts, an event that kicks off Culture Days while recognizing the positive impact of arts and culture in the community. The evening reception featured local musician Ryan Grist as well as a performance by mentalist and illusionist Sawyer Bullock. Opening remarks were provided by The Honourable Sylvia Jones, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport and MPP for Dufferin-Caledon, Ruth Burns, Executive Director of Ontario Culture Days, and Jeremy Williams, Mayor of the Town of Orangeville.
The highlight of the event was the presentation of the 2018 Arts and Culture awards. An impressive 42 nominations were submitted for the eight award categories and were judged by an experienced, independent panel from outside Dufferin County.
The recipients of the 2018 awards are:
- Established Artist of the Year: Sharon Wadsworth-Smith
- Emerging Artist of the Year: Andrew Maycock
- Student Artist of the Year: Chanelle Nguyen-Duong
- Arts Educator of the Year Award: CJ Shelton
- Community Arts Volunteer Advocate Award: Jim Kurtz
- Community Impact by an Organization Award: Dufferin County Cultural Resource Circle
- Community Impact by a Business Award: Mark’s Orangeville
- Creative Cultural Event Award: Celebrate the Arts presented by Dufferin Arts Council
Congratulations to all of the winners!